Welcome Ministry of El Cajon, Inc. is an ecumenical outreach of worship, mercy, and justice to the immigrant refugees and unsheltered homeless of the community.
Welcome Ministry began in 2016 as an ecumenical outreach ministry to persons living without benefit of shelter or housing in El Cajon (East San Diego County), California. We are based at St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, a worshipping community that has cared for and fed people on the streets of our city and in its parks for over 50 years. In early 2019 Welcome Ministry expanded its outreach to include the vibrant Joy Force refugee ministry. For many years St. Alban’s was the site of one of the largest refugee service centers in the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego. Formerly known as St. Alban’s Joy Knight Refugee Task Force, its inclusion in Welcome Ministry now provides a synergy for the common spiritual, emotional, and physical needs for under-served refugees/asyleesand homeless persons and families.
- Worship and pastoral ministry
- Twice-monthly food distribution of fresh produce
- Loads of Love weekly laundry ministry for homeless individuals
- Emergency financial and housing assistance
- Advocacy for under-served and homeless families
- Table Talk English-as-second-language women’s twice-weekly conversation group
- Employment counseling and preparation
- Transportation ministry
- Financial management skills training